Friday, August 5, 2011

I Want Everything! Well ... Almost!

I am a huge Barbara Streisand fan (yes, crooked long nose and all!). I have a lot of her music and I have seen all of her movies. The one movie that I love the most is the remake of a 1954 movie called "A Star Is Born." In the film she stars as a singer in a bar with a couple of backup singers and Kris Kristofferson is a singer on top of the world singing to millions around the world. They meet one night and began a romance while watching his career spiral downward in an out of control manner, all the while pushing hers upward to new heights.
During the movie she sings a song called "Everything." In the lyrics she lists what all she would like to do in her life. And for the most part, she isn't talking about material things. She is talking about things that she wants to accomplish, one being a "cure for the traffic jams." (Amen sister, if you've ever been down I-85 at Pelham Road about 4pm, you'd understand how wonderful that would be!)
My question to you is ... Do you want Everything? Our minds always go to the materialistic side of that equation. Or do you even "want" anymore?
Our country is going through some terrible times right now. There is so much uncertainty about the financial state of our economy. Stock market is having terrible losses, the price of gold which has been steadily climbing lost ground even. People are worried about whether they will be able to continue their style of life that they currently enjoy.
For them I say think on the words of the song that I mentioned above:

I want to learn what life is for
I don't want much, I just want more
Ask what I want and I will sing
I want everything (everything)
I'd cure the cold and the traffic jam
If there were floods, I'd give a darn (edited)
I'd never sleep, I'd only sing
Let me do everything (everything)
I'd like to plan a city, play the cello
Play at Monte Carlo, play Othello
Move into the White House, paint it yellow
Speak Portuguese and Deutch
And if it's not too much
I'd like to have the perfect twin
And who'd go out as I come in
I've got to grab the big brass ring
So I'll have everything (everything)
I'm like o child who's set free
At the fun fair
Every ride invites me and it's unfair
Saying that I only get my one share
Doesn't seem just
I could live as I must
If they'd give me the time to turn the tide
Give me the truth if once I lied
Give me the man Who's gonna bringMore of everything
Then I'll have everything
Everything
Notice the line above that is in bold. "Give me the man who's gonna bring, more of everything." We already have "the man" among us. God came to earth to live as a man. He brought us more than we could have imagined. We have so many books in the bible in the Old Testament, yet look at how much knowledge we can glean from just the 4 gospels that cover the life of Jesus. God gave us dominion over all of the world in the book of Genesis when man was first created. It is us who have given it back. It is us who have decided we can't, when we can. They say we use 10 percent of our brain's capacity. Start to use what God gave you. Start to want everything that God has in store for us. But you have to believe in God, love God, live for God so that you will receive what God has for you. Then we can have everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.