Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I've half a mind ...

Have you ever had someone use the title of this blog to emphasize something that they are considering doing?
Well, i have. And lately it has been aimed at my computer. Yesterday I was not feeling particularly well and when I booted my computer that morning, it was giving me "Disk Error" messages, saying something about consistency. After several tries, I was able to get it up and running. But at first, the thought that was running through my head was "I've half a mind to throw this thing out the window."
Then I had a revelation. If I do that, it will finally be finished. I will have to go and purchase another one (who can live without their computer nowadays?) and that would be an unwelcome expense right now. So for now, my 6 year old XP running Dell laptop is still puttering (and sometimes putering) on.
Okay, I'm glad I have half a mind. The half I didn't have didn't get a chance to override the half I do have into making such a mistake.
I've heard it said that we only use 10% of our possible brain power in our everyday living. So I guess I'm either at 5% (half of 10) or I'm 5 times the average at 50%. SUPERMAN! lol  Well, not really.
What I do know is that the 10% that we supposedly use is part of the other 90% which together make up something that our God gave us. A brain. And a brain that knows right from wrong.
Our minds really are about half and half. One half knows what we should do, one half knows what we shouldn't do. It is our choice as to which side of our brain that we follow. Evil and good exist in the world. No matter your beliefs, you have to admit that. Just look at the bombings/killings of innocent people worldwide, yet the rush of relief sent from many nations to a continent gripped in famine.
So my question to you today is: Which "half a mind" are you going to let control you today? Is it the one that flips a bird to the driver who will cut you off in traffic? Or is it the one who waits another minute, holding the door for someone who is disabled and will have a hard time getting it open once they get to the building?
Don't let what can destroy you control you. No matter what your beliefs are, let this be the start of a new day where you make a change for the better. I know, we're all human, and we're all going to screw up. But God forgives, and we can move on.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go shut the window before I do change half of my mind!
Thank you for stopping by and have a blessed day.!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.