Friday, June 17, 2011

(4) A member requests to be buried in his truck because ...

(4) A member requests to be buried in his truck
because, "I ain’t never been in a hole it couldn’t get me out of."

I used to have several trucks, and I had one that could pull anything out of a hole. It was a 1974 El Camino that had a Straight 6 with a Posi-Trac rear end, and Gabriel Hi-Jackers with very oversized tires (I forget the exact size 30 something inch I think). I would go “mud-bogging” with other friends, some who had 4x4’s and a few of them would become stuck in a mud hole. I would back my truck down in the mud, hook up the chains, and it would pull them and me out of the hole where I could unhook from their truck and drive away. I miss that truck. I was rear-ended and it cracked the frame in half, otherwise I would still be driving that truck today!
Okay, back to the subject, (pardon my reminiscing.)
I have met some people who believe in reincarnation. I haven't found anything to actually support this theory. And even if I were not a Christian and looking forward to where I will spend eternity, I certainly would not want to have to live this life over again, whether it be as a human or a critter!
Consider this:
John 20:1-10 (NIV)
The Empty Tomb
 1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. 2 So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”
 3 So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. 4 Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 5 He bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came along behind him and went straight into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, 7 as well as the cloth that had been wrapped around Jesus’ head. The cloth was still lying in its place, separate from the linen. 8 Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed. 9 (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.) 10 Then the disciples went back to where they were staying.

A lot of people believe that grave robbers, for whatever reason, stole Jesus’ body from the tomb and stashed it somewhere. The non-Messianic Jews believe that Jesus was a prophet, but not the Messiah, since He is nowhere to be seen now, not even his body (plus some other reasons that I won’t cover right now.) But the idea that someone would steal a body from a grave, leave the linen and cloths in place and carry a naked dead body around is really preposterous. Not to mention some of the other things that happened.
Now if Jesus escaped the grave and now lives in Heaven (if you’re a Christian, you should automatically believe this, otherwise you’re just worshipping some poor dead sap whose body no one can find), don’t you think that you will be taken from the grave and whisked to Heaven too? No truck will be needed. No 4x4’s will be needed. Only your salvation will be needed.
Salvation? What is that? And what from?
Hell. Being kept from living through eternity in some of the most horrid and painful conditions imaginable. (no, I take that back, I don’t think we can really conjure up what it will be like.) That is why Jesus died on the cross. That is why the sacrifice was made, and we no longer have to sacrifice burnt offerings as were required in the B.C. days.
It is so easy to do. To believe. To accept Jesus as your Savior. Why do people make it so hard? I wonder if it’s because of a phrase that we’ve been taught all our lives, “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.” For a lot of things in life, this holds true. But these things are usually revealed as scams before long when the truth actually comes out. For Christians, we’ve decided that the burial/resurrection is not a scam. For God to be a hoax, Jesus to be a scam, and the Holy Ghost just to be a Halloween nightmare is not a possibility for me. Too many things have happened to me (read the first blogs) that are not explainable by man. Only a being greater than any human could have ever pulled these things off.
No scam, no hoax, and He doesn’t need my help to try to do something that He has already said He would do. I can only pray that more people will see God as I see Him before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.